Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Connecting with Walt Whitman

walt_whitman.jpg
So far, we have read the connectedness, nature, and American pride in Walt Whitman's various poetry. Monday, we will continue our Whitman and Dickinson worksheet with a foyer into Emily Dickinson's poetry. You will find that their themes and meanings are very similar even though their unique writing styles are extremely different.

After we read about Whitman's literary devices, we created poems in the style of Whitman. Here is a copy of my poem in homage and style to Whitman's "Song of Myself" (after the jump)



“I celebrate & sing myself”
(a poem inspired by Walt Whitman)

I sing myself in words that fill my life
                Words that share myself with yours
                              that share my heart with yours
                              that share my eyes with your imaginings

But I am ever blind, then see—
                again, again I learn again
                stories
                (and dreams)
                of who I am again.

Somedays I am the scholar, with unquenching thirst for knowledge and numbers
                (blind to feelings or practicality)
Somedays I am the homemaker, with aromas (paprika and pinesol)
                pervasive along with ordered chaos
Yet other days I am the sloth, with chocolate, popcorn, and tactile-glee
                (blind by shutting out the daily pressures on myself)

But most of all, on most of days
                I’m merely just the rolling tide of
                emotion, feeling, empathy, misery
                that I embrace with emerald pools for eyes.
                I share myself with you and take your share of you
                because only in our life together
                (with God & nature and water & things)
                does life mean anything in song
                               
Elizabeth Gay
1.11.2012
910am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts will be approved by site moderator.