Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Shakespeare Links

You will have today's class period ONLY to complete this assignment. PLEASE WORK DILIGENTLY!

I have gathered together several websites that have information about Shakespeare or his times. Use these websites to finish filling out your information guide to Shakespeare.

http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/shakespeare1

After you have completed the background information on Shakespeare, please choose one of the quotes after the jump. You will research how this quote is used in modern times by checking on The New York Times website for current articles that still use Shakespeare's words today. 



List of Shakespeare FAMOUS Quotes after the jump!
THE MERCHANT OF VENICE
  • 'All that glisters is not gold'
  • Because this makes the word easier to pronounce, is less stilted, and more consonant with modern usage, the first 's' is often excluded in favor of 'glitters'.
  • '...in the twinkling of an eye'.
  • Eyes blink or wink, and little stars twinkle, so most people say 'blinking' or 'winking'. Simple: innit?
HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK
  • 'Something is rotten in the state of Denmark'.
  • This becomes - 'There is something rotten in the state of Denmark.'
  • 'To the manner born'
  • 'Manner' becomes 'manor'. The sitcom 'To the Manor born' is still shown from time to time on British T V'.
  • 'Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him Horatio'.
  • 'Horatio' is replaced, and it becomes 'Alas poor Yorick. I knew him well.'
  • 'Good Night sweet prince'; becomes 'Goodbye sweet prince' or 'Sleep well, sweet prince.'

HENRY THE FOURTH, PART 1
  • 'My nearest and dearest enemy'
  • 'Enemy' is now excuded, and the 'nearest and dearest' is quite often these days, the significant other.
  • 'Of burning cressets'
  • In Shakespeare times, a cresset was a receptacle, such as a cup, mounted at the end of a pole which when lit, serves as a torch. Since the rise of the Women's Liberation Movement in the sixties however, the talk is of burningcorsets.

HENRY THE FIFTH
  • 'A little touch of Harry in the dark'- hence 'A liitle touch of Nielsen in the Dark.'

JULIUS CAESAR
  • 'Et tu, Brute?' becomes 'Et tu Brutus?'

KING LEAR
  • 'I smell the blood of a British man', becomes 'I smell the blood of an Englishman, ' and quite often, 'the smell' or 'the scent.'

MACBETH
  • 'Come what come may' is shortened to 'Come what may.'
  • In 'But screw your courage to the sticking place...' - 'sticking place' becomes 'sticking point'.
  • In 'Is this a dagger which I see before me?' ' Which' becomes 'that' as in 'Is this a dagger that I see before me?'

  • A laughing stock (The Merry Wives of Windsor)
  • A sorry sight (Macbeth)
  • As dead as a doornail (Henry VI)
  • Eaten out of house and home (Henry V, Part 2)
  • Fair play (The Tempest)
  • I will wear my heart upon my sleeve (Othello)
  • In a pickle (The Tempest)
  • In stitches (Twelfth Night)
  • In the twinkling of an eye (The Merchant Of Venice)
  • Mum's the word (Henry VI, Part 2)
  • Neither here nor there (Othello)
  • Send him packing (Henry IV)
  • Set your teeth on edge (Henry IV)
  • There's method in my madness (Hamlet)
  • Too much of a good thing (As You Like It)
  • Vanish into thin air (Othello)
"There 's daggers in men's smiles". - ( Quote Act II, Sc. III).

"what 's done is done". Macbeth ( Quote Act III, Scene II).

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more is none". Macbeth Quote  (Act I, Sc. VII).

"Fair is foul, and foul is fair". - ( Quote Act I, Scene I).

"I bear a charmed life". Macbeth Quote (Act V, Sc. VIII).

"Yet do I fear thy nature; It is too full o' the milk of human kindness." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).

"Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather the multitudinous seas incarnadine, making the green one red" Macbeth Quote (Act II, Sc. II).

"Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble." Macbeth Quote (Act IV, Scene I).

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - ( Quote Act V, Scene I).

"All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand." Macbeth Quote (Act V, Sc. I).

"When shall we three meet again in thunder, lightning, or in rain? When the hurlyburly 's done,
When the battle 's lost and won". Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene I).

"If chance will have me king, why, chance may crown me". Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene III).

"Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it; he died as one that had been studied in his death to throw away the dearest thing he owed, as 't were a careless trifle". - ( Quote Act I, Sc. IV).

"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).

"I have no spur to prick the sides of my intent, but only vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself, and falls on the other." - ( Quote Act I, Scene VII).

"Is this a dagger which I see before me, The handle toward my hand?" Macbeth Quote (Act II, Scene I).

"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Macbeth Quote (Act V, Scene V).

·         A forgone conclusion. Othello: "But this denoted a foregone conclusion: 'Tis a shrewd doubt, though it be but a dream." Othello, 1604
·         Fair play. Miranda: "Yes, for a score of kingdoms you should wrangle, and I would call it, fair play." The Tempest, 1610
·         Hot-blooded. Falstaff: "The Windsor bell hath struck twelve; the minute draws on. Now, the hot-blooded-Gods assist me!" Merry Wives of Windsor, 1600
·         I have not slept one wink. Pisiano: "O gracious lady, since I received command to do this business I have not slept one wink." Cymbeline, 1611
·         Love is blind. Jessica: "But love is blind and lovers cannot see the pretty follies that themselves commit…" The Merchant Of Venice, 1596
·         Make your hair stand on end. Hamlet: "I could a tale unfold, whose lightest word would harrow up thy soul, freeze thy young blood, make thy two eyes, like stars, start from their spheres, thy knotted and combined locks to part and each particular hair to stand on end, like quills upon the fretful porpentine." Hamlet, 1602
·         Rhyme nor reason. Dromio of Syracuse: "Was there ever any man thus beaten out of season, when in the why and the wherefore is neither rhyme nor reason?" Comedy of Errors, 1590
·         Too much of a good thing. Rosalind: "Why then, can one desire too much of a good thing?" As You Like It, 1600
·         We have seen better days. Flavius: "We have seen better days. Let each take some; Nay, put out all your hands. Not one word more: Thus part we rich in sorrow, parting poor." Timon of Athens, 1607
·         Wild goose chase. Mercutio: "Nay, if thy wits run the wild-goose chase, I have done, for thou hast more of the wild-goose in one of thy wits than, I am sure, I have in my whole five." Romeo and Juliet, 1592

·         “To be, or not to be: That is the question.” Hamlet
·         “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” Hamlet
·         “Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow.” Romeo and Juliet
·         “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.” Hamlet
·         “Out, damn’d spot!” Macbeth
·         “All that glitters is not gold.” The Merchant of Venice
·         “O, woe is me…” Hamlet
·         “Now is the winter of our discontent.” King Richard III
·         “Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him…” Hamlet
·         “Off with his head!” King Richard III
·         “Though this be madness, yet there is method in’t.” Hamlet
·         “Why then the world’s mine oyster…” The Merry Wives of Windsor
·         “Lord, what fools these mortals be!” Midsummer Night’s Dream
·         “All the world’s a stage…” As You Like It
·         “Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.” Hamlet
·         “What’s in a name?” Romeo and Juliet
·         “…such stuff as dreams are made on.” The Tempest
·         “The game’s up.” Cymbeline
·         “Et tu, Brute?” Julius Caesar
·         “A plague o’ both your houses!” Romeo and Juliet
·         “Get thee to a nunn’ry…” Hamlet
·         “A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse!” King Richard III
·         “By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes!” Macbeth
·         “I am constant as the northern star…” Julius Caesar
·         “It is the green-ey’d monster…” Othello
·         “…the most unkindest cut of all.” Julius Caesar
·         “I will wear my heart upon my sleeve…” Othello
·         “…it was Greek to me.” Julius Caesar
·         “I have not slept one wink.” Cymbeline
·         “What’s mine is yours, and what is yours is mine.” Measure for Measure
·         “…to thine own self be true.” Hamlet
·         “We have seen better days.” Timon of Athens
·         “For ever and a day.” As You Like It
·         “…love is blind…” Merchant of Venice
·         “My salad days…” Antony and Cleopatra
·         “…give the devil his due.” King Henry IV, Part I
·         “The better part of valour is discretion.” King Henry IV, Part I
·         “Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.” King Henry IV, Part II
·         “..eaten me out of house and home.” King Henry IV, Part II
·         “The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.” King Henry VI, Part II
·         “…let slip the dogs of war.” Julius Caesar
·         “What’s done is done.” Macbeth
·         “Out of the jaws of death.” Taming of the Shrew



Original NY Times Worksheet and Lesson Plan
The entire unit for Shakespeare's Macbeth can be found on this handy calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts will be approved by site moderator.